Sunday, January 30, 2011

It's true!

The "old" cliche (aren't all cliches old? who's heard a new cliche?) "You're as young as you feel"?  TOTALLY TRUE!

As a adult, I must admit that I do not think I have every really acted my age unless I had to.  It is not that I am averse to responsibility or something.  Well I am on somethings, like not having sex before marriage, not buying a house while still single, or not running for public office.  (And who exactly would elect me?  I wouldn't want to be  over them...)

I definitely think, right or wrong, that I grew up too fast.  I do not blame my parents but I think being from a divorced home attributed to it. But I am also a first born, a bit of a perfectionist, and as a kid I was nearly always "something-going-on-30". It's not my parent's fault I had an old soul.  Now that I'm older, I long for the innocence and carefree time I took for granted and think I often missed out on.

Long intro I know but the point is this: I started volunteering with the student ministry at my church.

I know what you're thinking.  You are shaking in your boots right now.  Sweat is dripping down your forward as you imagine having to interact with a group of people between 7th-12th grade. Let's face it--what's more intimidating than a bunch of pre-teens and teenagers...even Christian ones?

I was scared.  So I put off emailing the student pastor for months.  Months and months I tell you!  Then God decided I was dragging my feet too long and my small group that met on Sunday night essentially disbanded.  (Amicably disbanded as we all felt God was taking us elsewhere.)

So with that I was inclined to say "Huh.  I guess you really do want me to do this God.  Okay."  Life goes so much easier when I stop arguing or fighting with God on what He wants me to do.

I am shadowing one of the other small group leaders.  She's got 7th grade girls.  So far they're pretty fabulous.  I've been amazed how much they've talked with me around.  I was nervous a week we went to the McD's down the street from church and just hung out.  I talked entirely too much to try to cover my nervousness.

Tonight after the worship time and message we headed over to the indoor gym to play games.  We played three ball baseball.  Very fun and Brian (the pastor) insisted his helpers play too.  Let me tell you, I throw like a girl.  I know, I am a girl, but I have some really athletic girlfriends who love sports.  I also run like a girl, and I'm still a little overweight.

And neither of those things mattered tonight.  I had fun and laughed and clapped and encouraged both teams and then watched some play ultimate frisbee after the group game was done.  I bonded with some gals outside the small group I've been with and I tried to connect with some of the guys.  (I've had my cootie shots.)

I feel so young.  I know I could be some of these kids mom if I'd gotten pregnant in high school.  I'm a couple years older than our student pastor for the love of Henrietta Muir. I'm sure to make references and use catchphrases that go over their heads making them roll their eyes.

But I'm also an avid follower of Nickelodeon, Disney, Disney XD, Cartoon Network and lots of other stuff I should be "grown-out-of" by now.  So I think I have some street cred and hopefully can be at least, sort of cool.

Some gals tonight loved my Star Wars shirt with Vader and the words "Warning: Choking Hazard."  I think I'm on my way...

1 comment:

  1. Ever since that Cabbage Patch Christmas play, when you were what? four or five and had memorized the play and proceeded to serve as the prompter for your cousin David (a teenager), you've been an old soul. I'm sure David's children now see you as their "cool cousin Mikki," and no doubt Corbin will talk about his "cool Aunt Mikki" someday. Of course, you come from a long line of cool women....

    The youth ministry sounds like a great fit. Can't wait to read about your next adventure with them.

    ReplyDelete