Saturday, August 20, 2011

Book Review: If You're Reading This It's Too Late

I’ve gotten ahead of myself once again. I have seven or eight books to review. But they’ll all be separate so the review itself doesn’t become a book.

If You’re Reading This, It’s Too Late is the second book in the Secret Series following The Name of this Book is Secret. I’ve already read the third volume as well, book review pending, and I’ve decided I must find the fourth book at the library soon. And by soon, I mean as soon as I’m done with the dozen books I have already checked out. Hmm. Could be a while.

Anyway, we join our heroes of the Secret Series, Cassandra and Max-Ernest, on their next adventure; well, they actually have several adventures in the book. The duo struggle with being a duo after Cass befriends a new kid at school who has a secret of his own. There are newish villains to face. I say new”ish” because, well, I knew they weren’t good before but this book cements the characters position on good and evil. Parent issues continue in this book as well. Not just for Max-Ernest with his parents strange divorce situation and double everything, but Cass has her own difficulties as well. Interestingly, Cass’s new found issues with her mom, Mel, aren’t as left field as they seem and weave very well into the story (and the next book).

In the previous book, The Name of this Book is Secret, Cass and Max-Ernest lied to their parents for the first times. This time around, both kids lie to their parents again on several occasions and Cass in particular faces some consequences of their actions. I’m not opposed to kids having adventures in fiction book, but they idea that the responsible adults in their life must always be lied to or tricked into letting the adventures happen does not sit well with me, especially in the cases where the kids get off scot free. Yes, I understand a little slack for kids who are inexperienced in the world but more often than not, the kids know they’re disobeying parents/guardians. I don’t agree with the world view that “the ends justify the means”. If the kids were acting out of ignorance, that would be another situation.

Don’t get me started on Harry Potter and friends. I like the books but man! Early on those kids get away with murder and are even rewarded for bad behavior. Or the movie Catch That Kid. Ugh. Kids pull off a bank heist and get rewarded for their deceit, deception and nearly alluding the authorities. They get caught red handed and don’t even get a slap on the wrist ‘cause someone’s mom covers for them. What a terrible example to set. There are numerous movies books that illustrate my point, but I think it’s been made. Also, I’m digressing…

The villainous twosome, Dr. L and Ms. Mauvais, are around/behind every sneaky doing/goings on and have a new scheme to discover the Secret. This time around, they plan on going through an evil man named Lord Pharaoh, long dead (seriously like centuries) but whose work lives on (literally). The Midnight Sun Society is also doing its best to not underestimate a couple of curious, clever children who pretty much torched their last headquarters.

There’s troublesome classmates, nasty sock puppets, a principal with no sense of humor, plenty of stinky dung, and a regular circus troupe of cavalry. The Museum of Magic, an unnamed beach on the ocean with a dock, Whisper Lake and a mysterious boat are among the new locations the kids explore.

Several questions from the end of the first book are answered and like any good mystery, more questions get raised through book two. We find out if the magician Cass and Max-Ernest tried saving in the first book is still alive. What/who is the Terces Society? That get answered, sort of. Remaining questions are: who are the Terces members really? What’s the hidden connection between Cass and the Terces Society? And of course, what is the Secret?

Much the first novel, this second book in the Secret Series is delightful. The pov changes between the heroes and the villains. Though we don’t get into the heads of the villains as we do the kid heroes. Like the first book, I think we spend most of the story in Cass’ perspective, but there are some great Max-Ernest sections. I really enjoyed Max-Ernest’s attempts at exploring his anger, trying to throw things around in his room. He just doesn’t quite have it.

My favorite section is *spoiler alert* the Oath of Terces:

 

I have a secret I can’t tell nor ink;

Though it has no scent, it does often stink;

Through it makes no sound, it can make you roar;

When it’s tasteless, I like it all the more.

Though it has no shade, it lacks no color;

Though it has no shape, it lacks no dolor.

If you think you know it, you’re incorrect,

And from you the Secret I will protect.

The Secret of Life is not stone nor cents,

For the Secret Sense is but a nonsense.

-If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late, page 357

 

Curl up with a good friend—read a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment